Κτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece
EN | GR

n the 1980s, 53 varieties were catalogued, both white and red, many of which are ancient.

Assyrtiko

Κτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece

Assyrtiko is the dominant variety of the vineyard. It is found in 90% of the white wine varieties, with white wine varieties constituting 80% of the viticultural region of the island. It is an indigenous variety, grown since antiquity and is in complete harmony with the harsh conditions of the island. It is linked to Santorini's soil with its mineral taste, its pronounced acidity and the firm structure that the wines of this variety have. For quite a few years now, Assyrtiko has been cultivated not only in Santorini but throughout Greece.

Aidani

Κτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, GreeceΚτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece

Aidani is also a white wine variety, which is indigenous to the island. It is a floral-scented variety, with relatively low acidity. Traditionally used in Vinsanto, in order to contribute to the scent bouquet of this great and renowned sweet Santorini wine. Today, Aidani, along with the other ancient Aegean variety of Athiri, are used in up to prοportions of 25%, for the production of a wine with the Protected Denomination of Origin (PDO) “Santorini” and the rest 75% being covered by Assyrtiko.

Mandilaria

Κτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, GreeceΚτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece

Mandilaria is another ancient red variety of the South Aegean. It can be found in Rhodes, Crete, Paros and Santorini. Along with the other red varieties of the island, it covers approximately 20% of the viticultural region. It is a high-tannin variety, rich in coloring substances; it matures with difficulty, most times yielding musts with aggressive and unripe tannins. It is also a variety of high acidity. It is exactly due to this high acidity, that traditionally, but even in the present day, it is used to produce the sun dried sweet wine of Santorini. This is an exquisite sweet red wine, which is known for its extremely high acidity, which compliments its rich residual sugar content and its tannin aftertaste.

Mavrotragano

Κτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, GreeceΚτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece

A red variety indigenous to the island, which came close to extinction. It is a robust variety, with thick vine twigs, tough wood, large leaves and a small yield. The grapes are small, with reddish to black colour. The bunches of grapes are usually small to medium sized. The skin of the grape is thick, with anthocyanins that break easily, yielding must with vivid colour and many high quality tannins, with a good degree of polymerization.

In the last ten years, as part of the reorganization of the vineyard, our company, as well as other wineries of the island, has planted to the present day (winter of 2011) almost 10 hectares with this variety, and we feel that our winery is playing a leading role in saving this rare and exceptional indigenous variety of Santorini's viticultural region.

The red wine produced from Mavrotragano is a wine rich in mild tannins, with a distinctive and rich perfume, with a full and textured flavor, which leaves a lingering after-taste. From the results yielded so far, it is a variety that can be used for the production of a qualitative red wine, with personality and extended aging time.

Athiri

Athiri is also an indigenous, white variety to the island. Athiri is an aromatic variety, of lower acidity than Assyrtiko and lower potential alcohol. It is also found in the island of Rhodes.

Κτήμα Σιγάλας - Οία Σαντορίνη | Domaine Sigalas - Ia, Santorini, Cyclades, Greece


ΕΚΘΕΣΗ ΣΥΓΧΡΟΝΗΣ ΤΕΧΝΗΣ...
more > >
Τσιπουρο Σιγάλας...
more > >
Robert Parker Spring Tasting 2014 - βαθμολογία...
more > >
Βραβεία και μετάλια 2014...
more > >
reviews...
more > >

 

Visit experience Sigalas
Sigalas wines on Facebook Sigalas wines on Vimeo Sigalas wines on youTube Sigalas wines on Tripadvisor Contact us